Website Borrego Health
Summary: Works under the direction and supervision of the Charge Nurse/Lead Nurse. Medical Assistant Provides assistance to the physician, mid-level provider, head nurse and patient; provides basic nursing procedure to non-acutely ill patients; assists in maintaining supplies and a safe clean environment. Interprets and supports the mission of Borrego Health.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Medical Assistants are responsible for knowing their scope of practice.
- Prepare Charts
- Obtain consents
- Receives patients, takes and records chief complaint and prepares patient for examination; records blood pressure, pulse, respirations, pulse oximetry, height and weight
- Prepares patients for examinations or procedures including positioning, draping, shaving and disinfecting treatment sites
- Explains to the patient the procedures followed in an examination, a diagnostic test or treatment at the request of clinic personnel
- Collects specimens, takes EKGs, collects blood samples as requested by clinic personnel; assists the physician with examination, treatments, minor surgery, dressing changes and splinting
- Assists the provider in the collection of specimens such as pap smears and throat cultures
- Administers medications orally, topically, vaginally, rectally, subcutaneously, intramuscularly, intradermal
- Prepares and replenishes supplies in the treatment room and exam rooms; maintain exam rooms in an orderly and constant state of readiness for incoming patients
- Performs simple laboratory procedures such as blood sugars and urine dips
- Sterilizes instruments and assumes maintenance of diagnostic and therapeutic equipment.
- Disposes of contaminated, disposable and outdated items per protocol
- Performs necessary vision screening and operates the oxymeter, audiometer, nebulizer and spirometer as directed
- Demonstrates willingness to assist co-workers whenever needed. Maintains good working relationship with all clinic personnel
- Reviews patients record forms for accuracy and completion.
- Performs other duties as needed
- Responsible for having current CPR card
- Attends all staff meetings and health fairs
- Observes Borrego Health policies and procedures
- This does not limit clinical activities. MAs will work according to Job description and scope of practice. (See MA Scope of Practice).
- Provides compassionate quality care to the patients of Borrego Health, within the scope of practice outlined by state or federal law
- Delivers care in accordance with established standard of care and accepted community standards
- Understands the organizations commitment to provide high quality patient care. Promotes a Patient centered environment
- Graduate of approved high school or GED equivalent
- Medical assistant certificate or signed training on venipuncture, infectious control, patient privacy, basic anatomy and physiology by Registered Nurse or Physician
- One year work experience